- It may feel ridiculously slow, but, a they say in Swahili – pole pole or slowly slowly
- Drink lots of water, stay hydratred. It is advisable to sip water regularlry on your hike
- Take time to acclimatize. Preferably spend a few days at the base of your hike, and hike to your starting point.
- Take small steps.
- Don’t compete. Everyone responds differently to altitude regardless of their fitness.
- Listen to your guides. Mohakin guides will help you to reduce the likelihood of altitude sickness. They are also trained to recognize symptoms. Your guide will decide if it is safe for you to continue to ascend at any point.
- Diamox or other medications are optional
- For more information see http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/safety/altitude.html